Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Red Kettle Tax



First, don't let the title of this post mislead you. I appreciate what the Salvation Army (hereafter referred to as 'the Army') does in local communities and understand the importance of the kettles to their overall fundraising campaign. My brothers-in-law have been ringing bells for the Army as long as I've known them and Hillcrest is even sending out some folks to ring bells on Wednesday nights in December. But for me, there are two inherent problems with the kettle drive:
  • First, repeat trips to the same store. Say I go to Lewis Drug this evening to get stamps. There is a kettle there, I toss in my pocket change, the bell ringer says "Merry Christmas", and I get to go into the store. If I need to go to Lewis tomorrow, yesterday's visit is null and void. The bell ringer has inevitably changed, the new ringer knows nothing of my previous visit, so I feel the need to toss in some more change in order to get reenter Lewis.
  • Second, trips to other stores with kettles. HyVee Grocery is across the street from Lewis. If I toss change into Lewis, and then head over to HyVee, that bell ringer knows nothing of my recent donation (short of an instanteneous text between bell ringers), and then there is the 'pressure' to toss change into HyVee's kettle. Soon, normal errands in Sioux Falls can take on a similar feeling as driving on Chicago's tollway, where one makes sure you have enough change to make it through the tolls!

So here's my suggestion (maybe the Army already does this, but if not, it might be worth a shot): sell a button dated with the year's holiday season (for instance, Christmas 2008) that one can wear on their coat or jacket. The button would cost more than what most people probably toss into buckets throughout the season, say $25, and the donor can freely enter stores of their choosing without having the hovering guilt of paying the holiday kettle tax! Who knows, the Army just might raise more funds as well . . .

4 comments:

  1. Okay....so had this great comment typed up and boom, gone. I'll try again and I suppose the other will reappear from cyberspace with no warning. Whatever (said in 8th grader voice).

    I like your idea. I think $10 buttons would sell like hot cakes. I feel the same pain and guilt you do as you pass the kettles. In fact, if you watch me like a fly on the wall, you'll see me scout out which door the ringer is at so I can exit or enter into a different one. Pathetic, but when your change is gone, the guilt makes me reach for the paper and the paper is what feeds the family and what a tangled web we weave....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya. Couple years ago when I was severely addicted to Coca-cola, I drived to three different stores that had outside pop machines before I found one that didn't have a bell ringer! I reasoned I needed a Coke more than the kettle needed the change but figured the bell ringer wouldn't understand . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative. I would support the button idea. How about the bell ringer hands out "I donated today" sticker. Just like "I voted in 08." I always took joy in following the person into Wal Mart continuing to ring the bell in their ear...then they coughed up the change.

    You have a good conscience. I send Amanda out to do the shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ty. You should shop more so you understand the other side!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive