Sunday, August 15, 2010

Single Parents are Superheroes

A couple weeks ago Tarina visited her sister in Spokane, WA, and so thus it was six days and five sleeps of 'daddy day care'. Throw in the aformentioned basement flooding which occurred while Tarina was gone and you now have Noah's Ark + Daddy Day Care. Needless to say, we were so glad when mom came home and order was restored, but it got me thinking about single parents do it. Hillcrest has several single parent homes, and several who also got water in their basements, and I wondered how they do it? After a few days of a single parent experience, I have some questions:
  • when does a single parent find time to exercise? I normally go to the gym in the mornings while T is at home with kids. No exercise for me while she was gone, unless you count numerous trips up and down stairs with sopping wet carpet.
  • how does a single parent find a missing dog when the kids are sleeping? My dog loves to run away- not sure if it's a grass is greener kind of thing, but late one night my dog ran away and the kids were all asleep. Now I love my pet, but not enough to disturb 4 sleeping children for! Needless to say, Pepper came home, but I'm not going to type out how!
  • how does a single parent cook (or do laundry, or mow the lawn, or any other household chore)? Fortunately, I had multiple offers of meals and people who had us over and I of course took the kids out several times- but with everything else going on that week, I had a hard time doing the things that needed to get done around the house without the help of my spouse.

I have other questions too, but I have a much greater appreciation for those who are single parents- they really are super heroes. The scriptures talk quite a bit about widows. We typically think of widows as those whose spouse has passed away, but I think a more contemporary version of a widow is the single parent, and the scriptures are clear on the role those who follow Christ are to play in the lives of the widows.

2 comments:

  1. And this is why you're the best pastor EVA (say with a slight teenage attitude). You ask excellent questions and truly want to know the answers. As one of those with super hero powers, I can tell you that exercise has taken a back burner for me, especially with two now and the age difference making it hard to find something we can all do together. The whole dog deal....well, I've had to make middle of the night emergency doggie ER visits and the only way I did it was with the help of my married friends who have spouses who can stay with the kids while she sat with mine who were asleep so I could deal with the dog who ate the entire bottle of bubble gum flavored kid's tylenol. As far as other chores, it's all in organization and yet it's also a matter of "pick your battle" mentality. My yard is not like I'd like it simply because I don't have the time---so sometimes it's very long like the people my dad used to gripe about. The laundry is simply never ending---just plan to throw a load in every other day and it works out. Cooking....well, here again, the cash envelope for eating out is usually the first one emptied at my house because of the whole not only time thing, but the whole worked all day, extremely tired, last thing I want to do is cook thing, especially when two little kids want their mama. So, Mickey D's it is at times, simply because it saves sanity. We won't even go into the basement ordeal....but I will say I'm glad to know your basement is better, your dog is home, and your sweetie is back. And of course, these answers are subject to change at a moment's notice, kind of like the life of a single parent....each corner brings with it a new view and typically a new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally give high respect for single parents, due to their tenacity in raising a child by themselves, and I am doing the same to my child, since I am separated with my violent ex-husband. With the help of the divorce lawyers (Jacksonville, FL located firm), the settlement has been solved with the child support needed for me to financially fortify the upbringing of my child.

    For many years now, my child and I has been living peacefully even though I am working hard to support him, in addition to the financial support I get from my ex-husband, and it is all thanks to the lawyer who specializes in family law (Jacksonville, FL).

    ReplyDelete