Friday, June 10, 2011

Book Report: Evil Plans

Been off the blog for awhile now. Work's been busy and we squeezed out some vacation to Omaha and to the lake. Looking forward to some more frequent posting.

I read Evil Plans awhile ago- a book that came recommended from following Seth Godin's blog. A couple takeaways:

• It seems almost unbelievable now, but our parents and grandparents spent huge amounts of their free, “nonwork” time watching television. Passive, non-interactive media consumption will soon be mostly a thing of the past . . . a historical accident of the old factory-worker age meeting the modern mass-media age. Of course it wouldn’t last forever. We humans as a species were designed to compete, not to sit around on our asses. We’re designed to create, not consume (28).

I have tendencies to just veg in front of the TV as much as anyone else, especially with a sporting event. And now with Newflix, I'm watching more movies. For some reason I always resonate with people who pick on TV as a time sucker and it's amazing how much more I can do if I am not worried about missing what's on TV.

• Human beings need to tell stories. Historically, it’s the quickest way we have for transmitting useful information to other members of our species. Stories are essential survival tools. How does telling your story become a survival tool for other people? (46).

For those looking for a job, how does your story differ from the other applicants?

For a business or nonprofit, how is your story different than someone else's? Your story ought to convince me to spend my money, my charitable donations, my free time with your organization.

For a church, how is our story different then another church (or perhaps more importantly, different then the other options people have to spend their free time). I'm not suggesting that Hillcrest has a different story of the gospel then another church- but rather, what's different about our church that people can resonate with?

No comments:

Post a Comment