Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What time is it?

Camp was a big part of my growing up years. I was a camper there. Counseled there. Led there. And one of the unique things about being at camp was forgetting what day it was. About the middle of a week whether as a camper or an adult, I had no idea what day it was and had lost most contact with the outside world (except for who won Wimbledon; I had my priorities) and it was this weird feeling. Today, with wifi, smart phones and TVs everywhere you go, it's even harder to get this feeling. We had the privilege to spend a few days at the lake over the 4th of July, and for a brief moment this feeling returned. There's no TV at the lake. No internet. Spotty cell coverage. And it's great, because halfway through our visit, we had lost track of what day it was. Didn't know what was happening in the news. Had no idea who was winning what. Just time with one another and thankfully, lots of time outside.

There's lots of stuff out there about keeping a Sabbath, taking a rest, making sure you don't work all seven days, etc. And I'm not the best example of keeping a weekly Sabbath, but for me, when I lose track of what day it is, I feel that's as close to Sabbath as I can get, and it's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment