Monday, October 8, 2012

Being New

I don't like the feeling of being new.  Our family joined a different gym the other day and my first day going there to workout felt like I was going to my new high school for the first time.  I didn't know where anything was and I didn't know any of this gym's culture or unwritten rules such as
  • Do I have to sign up for a machine? 
  • Does someone always use this machine at the same time (I actually heard someone say to another member that a certain machine was his machine.  For real?!)
  • Do I wipe down my machine after I'm done using it or does someone else? 
  • Can I use the towels that are so neatly folded or does that cost extra?
It was weird and a bit uncomfortable.  And while it's been some time since I've felt new at church, I'm sure my gym experience is similar to those who come to a church for the first time- weird and a bit uncomfortable- because they too don't know the culutre or our unwritten rules such as a certain family always sits in these seats, that we always start worship by shaking hands and then singing, and that of course you can bring coffee into the worship center!

It's really not that tricky to tell who's new to church.  While one of the reasons we (myself included) give for not reaching out to folks at church is because we don't want to offend them by introducing ourselves to them for a second (or a third, or a fourth) time, there's some pretty easy signs to tell if someone is new:
  • When they arrive at church, they have a bit of a 'deer in the headlights' look.  They come through the door and then stop and look around.  Why?  Because they don't know where anything is!  If you see this, say "hi!", "welcome", or "may I help you find something?".  I had this look last week at the gym!
  • They either arrive really early or really late to service.  Your usual members and attenders come at the same time, but those who are new either come really early (like 15-20 minutes before service) or really late (like 15-20 minutes after service).  Be available during these times to welcome guests. 
  • They ask questions.  Where is your bathroom?  Where is your nursery?  Where is your children's Sunday School?  If they're new, they don't know these answers, so answer their questions and show (rather than pointing) them where things are located.  Of course, good signage helps with this (and helped me at the gym), but nothing replaces a person who's willing to help you out.
How else can you tell if people are new?  And what else can we do to help people feel welcomed at their 'new' church? 

No comments:

Post a Comment