Thursday, September 25, 2008

Angels in Adoption



It's been a couple of weeks since my last post- I've been away from home more in the two weeks than I've been home (a rarity in my life) and haven't worked in blogging while on the road (a misstep in teh blogging world I am sure!). Two weeks ago Tarina and I were in Washington DC, accepting the award "Angel in Adoption" on behalf of Hillcrest's work with financing and supporting adoptions; you can see the press release from Senator Johnson's office here. I'll write about some insights throughout my next few posts, but on Tuesday (9/16) was an incredible day. We were at the Captiol for most of it receiving the award, talking to Senator Thune, getting a tour of the capitol, meeting with Senator Johnson and his staff and getting to share Hillcrest's story with adoption and the impact we’re trying to make in the community, and then the gala that night. One of my first thoughts from the whole trip is that Hillcrest is a part of a movement that is really seeking to find forever families for orphans and kids in foster care. We met some incredible people: from the couple in Illinois who lead a nonprofit that raises money and then financially supports adoptive families (they’ve helped 58 families in the last four years; make our four look rather small!) to the sister from New Hampshire who works at a children’s home seeking to place 4-17 year olds in forever families to the family from North Dakota who adopted 5 Native American siblings, various ages, after trying to adopt only one and learning that the four other siblings were spread throughout the foster care system. It was an amazing week indeed and one that will stay with me and us for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment