Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Being last

There are apparently only two places where it counts for something if you are last:

1) the kingdom of God (see the gospels)

2) the supermarket check out line.

Anytime they open a new check out line at the supermarket, the clerk utters "I can help whoever's next". It never fails that when this happens, I find myself waiting in the express line (read: the 10 item or less lane) while the person in front of me, who apparently doesn't either know how to read or count for their cart has like 137 items, is getting a price check on a can of beef broth (seriously, is the $.04 the price check might save you really worth it?). With all of this going on, someone has just gotten behind me in line.

At this point, my total wait time: 10 minutes. "Johnny Come Lately's" wait time: 10 seconds.

So when the clerk says, "I can help whoever's next", what does Johnny Come Lately do? He assumes, of course, that he is next, since he's the last to arrive, and is off on his way while I am still waiting and wondering what the gas discount is for the day . . .

2 comments:

  1. that is so true...Can't wait for the coming of the Strohs. Look forward to seeing the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I heard that the stork came this past week to the house! Just wanted to say congrats and that we are praying for you guys that everything goes smoothly! I look forward to meeing her soon! Maybe a prom date for my boys someday! :) Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete