Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dos and Don'ts

I occassionally have the opportunity to interview people for employment. Here is my short list of do's and don'ts for prospective job lookers:
  • Don't tell me something great you did 3 years ago (or worse, 4 years ago!). Tell me something great you did this past year (or better, in the last 6 months).
  • Don't focus too much on your educational background (most folks have the same educational qualifications as you do); focus more on your experience and ability to work with people.
  • Don't flood me with facts, content, and data (those that know me can accuse of being hypocritical here as I love all of those things!). Do tell me stories, stories of how you did something great, stories of how you and your job made a difference, stories of what you hope to contribute here.
  • Don't come in with just a love for the job you are applying for (everyone can do that); do come in with a love for the organization you are applying to, because when you love your organization, it is easier to love your job (doesn't work so well in the other direction).

2 comments:

  1. good points Brian, if only the intital application/fact-finding forms so many organizations use wouldn't focus on those "dont's" opportunities for conversations/interviews in which the "do's" could be done would be much eaiser to come by - Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peter-

    I agree. The first part of most processes, and even the types questions we ask in interviews, set us up for 'don't' answers.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive