Monday, June 22, 2009

We don't need your help

Here's a statement I'm thinking might become one of those rules or sayings in my life: if you don't need my help, you don't need my money.

Some time ago I was on the phone with the leader of a local non profit ministry who was starting a new ministry. This new ministry was something that some other places are already doing in the community, but with a creative angle, so I was interested in talking to this potential partner. The leader had all of the traditional tools for success- a brochure explaining what they were doing, a prepared presentation with which to present to our church, and press coverage from the radio and the newspaper. The ministry leader's hope was that we'd hear the pitch, see the credibility that the press was giving them, and sign up for financial support.

As we continued to talk, the ministry leader informed that they were going to be launching their ministry on a once a week basis at a certain time and place. I then inquired if I could bring a few people to watch them in action, to get a feel for what they were doing. The leader responded, politely, that it wouldn't be a good idea for us to come down so early on in their launch of the ministry (it will take time to iron out the kinks). Fair enough, I said. I then asked if just I could down some time and watch the operation so I could at least determine if this would be a viable partner or not. Again, I was denied, politely, but denied.

The ministry leader was simply interested in dollars and whether or not we could spare some. I think this is short-sighted. Money is certainly in short supply, especially for non-profit startups. But far better to let someone get a sense of who you are before asking for the support then the other way around. If you don't need my help, you don't need my money.

1 comment:

  1. I say the last line to Amanda daily...see ya next week.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive