Friday, October 2, 2009

Cupid's Arrow

The 4th grader I mentor has been hit by the love bug. During our mentoring time last week, I felt as if I was chaperonoing a first date as they went through the various mating rituals of pre-tween children. There was mutual interest in a shared activity (in this case, tetherball, and the girl beating the boy at tetherball at that), a gift exchange (looked like a necklace or something), senseless chatter (after tetherball, they walked along the playground and I followed close enough to hear their innocent banter), and an act of bravado on the boy's part (during the game of tetherball, he said a word he shouldn't have said. He was clearly doing it to impress the lady, but his mentor wasn't impressed, and quickly put an end to it). From what I could tell, it was typical first date stuff (!). Yesterday it was raining, so we stayed inside, but in the lunch line my mentee asked me to stand at a certain spot so the lady couldn't see him, either revealing that a) they are no longer going out (whatever that means in the 4th grade) or b) sometimes love feels a bit embarassing. Based on his actions, I'm going with b.

No comments:

Post a Comment