Friday, October 16, 2009

Target



A new Target opened on the east side of Sioux Falls, the part of town I call home. This opening has been met with three very different responses:

  • Extreme Fanatcism- there are apparently folks who will only go to Target, and for them, this opening is akin to visiting Mecca or going to Lambeau.
  • Tempered Excitement- I'd put my wife in this category as she likes Target and it gives her some options (such as a cheap $1 section, I guess) that she likes and that other stores don't have.
  • Passive Disinterest- I'm here in the 'could give a rip' category as I probably won't go there unless I can save $2 more on Pull ups. But it's another retailer on the east side and that's a good thing.

For the extreme fanatic of Target, there are usually many options given for why they shop at Target, and more importantly, why they won't shop at the 'W' store. I have done no research on the topic, but some of the issues may have merit, including health insurance, working wages, and other labor concerns. The one objection from the Target fanatic, though, that holds no water for me is the 'Wal Mart shuts down small, mom and pop businesses' argument. To that, I'd like to clarify that Target is the 5th largest retailer in the US. I find it hard to believe that the 5th largest retailer has any more concern for "Joe's Corner Store" than the 1st largest.

One other interesting tidbit: the median shopper at Target is educated, in their 40s, and makes $60k+ a year . I couldn't find comprable info on Wal Mart, but my completley uneducated guess would be the median Wal Mart shopper has less education and makes less money, thus potentially serving as an interesting paradox: while Wal Mart gets flack on issues at the corporate level that (allegedly) work against poorer income people, they might get more of those same people's business.

If dollars are votes, it is an interesting paradox indeed . . .

1 comment:

  1. Great post Brian...love the Wal Mart topic. Feel bad about the weekend. A healthy Wes changes the entire weekend. Hope he is feeling better. Say hi to everyone.

    ReplyDelete