Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Random Retail Rants

Some random rants on some recent experiences with retail workers:

  • Don't call me 'hon'- at a certain drive through, the voice reads back my order, my total, and then says 'pull aroun, hon'. Unless your my mom or my wife, 'hon' really doesn't apply. And I don't care if the voice is some sweet eldery type who calls everyone hon, she should save the use of 'hon' for her grandkids, or more likely, greatgrandkids.
  • Don't make comments on my order- I probably go to HyVee, Wal Mart, and other 'big box' retailers several times a month, as I pick up stuff for Hillcrest, stuff for Cleveland Elementary School, stuff for Hillcrest's other partners, and obviously stuff for home. Why does the checkout person, upon seeing a cart load of soaps and shampoos (which we are picking up for Cleveland's under-resourced) feel the need to say "wow, that's a lot of soap. You must go through a lot of shampoo. Ha Ha". Seriosuly, I have no trouble conversing with someone who wants to chat to connect with the customer. But when you're dumb about it, and make stupid assumptions (you must go through a lot of snow gloves to be buying that many!), it bothers me.
  • Don't talk to me if I am in the self-checkout line- I know for some, the self-checkout line is a symbol of what's wrong with business today. A machine that lets you check yourself out takes the place of a person who could and is doind that job. But research shows that men, more than women, use these self-checkout lanes for a variety of reasons- speed, convenience, and also that I don't have to talk to the checkout person, who's going to comment on the 50 pounds of ground beef that I am buying!

I feel better now. Enough ranting . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment