Thursday, December 16, 2010

What I wish I could say

Things said to me, the reply I wish I could say, and what I really said, while ringing bells the other night:

#1: Said to me "well, at least it's not that cold out tonight"

  • I wanted to say "easy for you to say as you get out of your warm car and into a warm store"
  • I said "yep"

#2: Said to me "Thank you for what you're doing. I used the Salvation Army years ago. They gave me $25 and I bought vegetables and Malt-O-Meal. That was back when $25 was a lot of money. You could live a whole week on Malt-O-Meal"

  • I wanted to say "and look at how your life has turned around, you're shopping at ShopKo!"
  • I also wanted to say "and thank you for your donation" (but that didn't happen either).
  • I said "have a good night".

#3: Said to me "well, at least you're not sitting in a chair ringing bells like this guy at HyVee. I mean, if you're going to ring bells, you have to stand. Can you believe it? This guy brought his own chair!"

  • I wanted to say "listen, if he's ringing bells, he can do it however he wants"
  • I said "wow. Have a good night"

3 comments:

  1. hahahaha! that's too funny. Good job B! Tyler's ringing bells on Christmas Eve and he always has good stories to tell. However I will say that I take the bellringers that stand outside to a whole new level vs. the ones inside not braving the cold. But as you said at least they are ringing bells.

    Tried to get Em to put money in the pot and he kept wanting to throw it in the nearby fountain at the mall... Maybe he'll get it next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very funny. I love your idea.

    ReplyDelete