Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Golfing Observation

Somehow this summer I golfed (a sport I despise) more times (3) than I played tennis (a sport I cherish, 0). How did this happen?!? I am terrible at golf, just terrible. Ask anyone from my family, my wife's family, or my church family- they will enthusiastically concur that I am one of the worst golfers ever.

What's interesting about the game of golf is that it is the only sport I can think of where it is not only accepted, but sometimes even encouraged to give the people you're playing with (otherwise known as your opponent, the person you're trying to beat!) advice on how to play better. Now, to be fair, the people giving me advice are generally trying to help and it wouldn't be right for me to actually think that I am their opponent! Even with the advice, there's no way I will beat them so they are safe! But really, think about it- when I'm playing basketball, the person guarding me doesn't stop the game and say 'you know, you need to shoot more with your legs'. If I am playing tennis, the guy on the other side of the net doesn't come over and explain to me that the toss on my serve needs to be higher. Not sure how it came to be that offering other golfers advice was kosher, but alas it is.

And so help me, I will never have another summer where I 'play' more golf than tennis!

No comments:

Post a Comment