Thursday, July 9, 2009

Why I love the Furniture Mission

Last night I took Riley and Wesley with me to serve with the Furniture Mission and I enjoy it every time I serve with them, for these reasons:
  • You meet the people you help- last night we were at Jon's apartment and then later at Gina's. Both were very appreciative for the furniture, and both are going through difficult times, especially Gina, who had just lost everything. Being able to pray with each of them was a privilege and an opportunity to ask God to continue to provide comfort and strength.
  • You see different parts of Sioux Falls- I was at a recent meeting where a non-profit director commented that the poor are spread throughout all of Sioux Falls (not centralized in just one area like downtown). One tour on the Furniture Mission proves her point as we've made deliveries in the known poorer areas like Pettigrew Heights, but have also been out by the zoo and out by the mall.
  • You connect with one another- me and my boys got to spend a good chunk of time with Darwin and I am thankful for that. They get to see a true man of God in action, serving, praying, talking with them, letting them ride in the truck, etc, and that impact is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive