Monday, September 10, 2012

Puff Daddy and Amazing Grace

I did my funeral last week, and it was a very interesting experience.  While it seems weird to be thankful for a death, I am thankful for the experience as I don't get many of those opportunities (and I am ok with that!). 

Some observations:
  • I did not know the deceased (Walt).  I did know one of his family members and she had the closest connection to a church, so that is how I got involved.  Doing a funeral for someone you don't know- for a family you don't know- is a challenge.
  • The family wanted two songs played during the service- "I'll Be Missing You" by Puff Daddy and "Amazing Grace".  No joke.  While some clergy may not agree with the choice of Puff Daddy (and I'll admit I too was uncomfortable with the song!), I found the song on Amazon, bought it and burned it for them, and we played it during the ceremony, and I am so glad we did.  When the song was played, it was obvious how important and meaningful that song was for the Walt and the whole family.  If I did I had to do it over again, though, I'd edit the swears out of the beginning.  No mattew how meaningful something is, swear words don't belong at a funeral!
  • Walt's niece gave a fantastic tribute- one of the best I've ever heard at a funeral.  It was so good, I was half-tempted to close in prayer when she was done!
  • People need to hear the gospel.  I didn't know Walt nor do I know if he lived a life of faith or not.  But death gives us an opportunity to reflect on life.  And I'll always fall back on funerals as opportunities to share what real life- both here and in the time to come- can look like through the truth of the gospel.   

No comments:

Post a Comment