Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Importance of Small Groups

"I like being in a group".

I told this to Tarina the other day as we started a new small group a couple weeks ago.  We meet weekly and serve a couple times a month and connect with one another a couple times a month (to see some pics of our group in action, click here).

For the last 20 years or so, I've been in a group of some sort.  While in high school I was part of the youth group and a weekly bible study.  There were several groups in college, and then once T and I were married, we were in a group with others who had just got married, and those times were so important as we were figuring out life as a married couple.  While I was in seminary, we were part of another group that again was very instrumental for our lives, and while we've gone our sperate ways, we had a reunion a couple summers ago.  I've been part of various men's groups and studies and currently meet with one on Friday mornings.  I've had the opportunity to lead groups and as a group experience some of life's greatest and most difficult moments together.

There's something about meeting with people, on a consistent basis, that makes life more fun.  And it also makes following Christ more meaningful because you're being shaped by other people and their stories.

Whereever you may be, I recommend being in a group.   

No comments:

Post a Comment