Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Just Do It

The word 'just' worked for Nike. Just do it. You know, run the race, play the sport, whatever.

But nowadays, we misuse the word 'just':


  • "I'm 'just' a volunteer"- so my opinion doesn't matter, my time or energy isn't as valued, or I'm not as important. This is bologna.

  • "I'm 'just' saying"- so I can now say whatever I want to say, regardless of my tone or content, because I am 'just' saying. This is dangerous.

  • "I 'just' work here"- so while I get paid to be here, I can't really answer your question, provide you with meaningful service, or help you in any real positive way. This is way too common.

  • "Just ___________"- fill in the blank. Just stop it. Just start working. Just stop complaining. Just get along. Just knock it off. It's as if the words behind those instructions aren't enough so we add the 'just' to signify we really mean what we're saying. Personal experience tells me that if I have to add 'just' to whatever I am about to say, I am already in trouble! This doesn't work.

Maybe we should just stop using the word just.

No comments:

Post a Comment