Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Volunteer is Always Right

In retail, the customer is always right.

In information technology, the user is always right.

Perhaps in the non-profit world, we should consider the idea that the "volunteer is always right".
Obviously, there are exceptions to a customer or a volunteer always being right. A customer who buys something at Target and tries to return it at JCPenney shouldn't be right- though they might be in some stores. A volunteer who can find a substitute for something ought to try and find one. But when there's a problem between the organization and the volunteer, the default for fixing on the problem falls on the organization.

I called one of our Wednesday Night Service partners last week to tell them how many were planning to serve on our scheduled shift. For this opportunity, our numbers were low and we were barely going to be able to keep our commitment, but we were going to be able to keep it. I could tell the person working the phone for our partner that they were disappointed with our response. They told me they were planning for more people. I replied that we were sorry but weren't going to be able to have more people. They asked if I could find more. At this point, I'm getting a little frustrated that the partner isn't listening to me. They are hearing me- but they are not listening. I told them no- we had who was coming.

Fast forward to Wednesday Night where the partner calls my phone right before our group is scheduled to serve and asks if we had more coming! I am surprised (and more frustrated!) as apparently they had lined up another person to help. I call back and leave a message that I am sure sounds pretty frustrated and again say no, who is there is who is planning to help.

I am sure the partner was disappointed that we had lower numbers and weren't going to accomplish all they had hoped. As someone who occupies that role too, I get that. But, the key is to figure that out on the leader's end and not on the volunteer end. Volunteers are giving their extra time and resources- precious commodities today- and to try to guilt them into giving more in the short-term isn't a successful long-term strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment