Saturday, March 31, 2012

The End of Pastor Guru?

As a pastor, people ask me all kids of questions related to doctrine, theology, church history, details pertaining to Scripture, and a host of other 'spiritual' matters. I love it. It's one of the things I enjoy most about being a pastor, and it is one of the times I get to apply my seminary training. And it's not just answering the questions, but what's really exciting is these questions lead to discussions and raise more questions.

But I wonder if Google (and other technology) is changing this approach of the pastor as a guru.

The last few times I've been asked these types of questions, the person asking the question had already done their homework. They had researched the question on the web, consulted a book or two, and developed a very informed opinon. In some instances, I couldn't quite give an answer off the top of my head as I needed time to refresh my memory and do my own digging.

In the past, we simply didn't have access to the same tools the paid ministry leaders did, so we relied on their expertise and training. Google, wikipedia, biblegateway, and many other sites, however, level the playing field. While advanced training is still good for pastors and ministry leaders, really anyone can learn to work in the Greek or the Hebrew, research theologically difficult topics, and get answers on church history matters.

For those pastors who relish the role of being the only one with the answers, this is a bad development, and their response will be similar to those in the newspaper business (the sky is falling!). But other pastors will see this as a fantastic development as people do their own study gather their own information, and enter into conversations which leads to a closer following of Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. I would be one who considers this a fantastic development. But I'm biased, because I didn't go to seminary (or college). Also, this same thing applies to every field, not just theology. Being smart isn't necessarily impressive anymore because, in the words of Seth Godin, "the internet still knows more than you." I think this leveling of the playing field is great because the facade of "education" is loosing its value. (I'm not saying that all education is a facade, but let's face it... LOTS of people go to college to do anything but pursue their passion.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with ya Jesse, and think the industry of education will see much change in the next 10 years.

    ReplyDelete