Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Made to Matter

I'm officially getting older, as I now spend 6:00 AM every Friday morning at Bagel Boy drinking coffee with other guys from Hillcrest. It's a great time and I really do look forward to it each week in spite of the time!

Each morning we discuss a short chapter from the book Made to Matter which serves as a weekly devotional for living out your faith in the workplace. Two points from a recent reading really stuck with me:


  • You can't lead others farther then where you are at your self

  • You haven't really learned something until you teach someone else

The first point has been a fundamental truth for me for years. It's a filter I use through my own leading and teaching- I can't ask or expect someone to do something that I am not willing to do in my own life.


But the second point really stopped me and it made sense- we've learned something when we can pass it onto others. It could be how to fish, how to play a sport, how to study, or it could be the gospel, what God is doing in your life, or why you tithe- whatever it is, you've really learned something when you can teach someone else.


Oh, and I'd also add this- you've really learned something when you do it in your own life. Guess that circles back to the first point . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment