Sunday, March 25, 2012

When Christians Fight

We had protesters at Hillcrest last Sunday holding up signs at both parking lot entrances claiming we use an incorrect version of Scripture. When first told about them 15 minutes for service, I didn't believe it. Then I peeked out and saw that indeed there were protesters. Wow! My first thoughts in situations such as this always go to, for lack of a better term, 'damage control'. What will new people to Hillcrest think? What wil we say to our people? Will we acknowledge it from the front or not? After a couple minutes, I walked out and met one of the protesters who was convinced we use the NIV (we don't; we actually use the NLT which would have been further proof for them, but I digress). He then ratteled off his list of trump card verses memorized to show his superirority and convince me that I was going to hell because we used a different biblical version.

I'll admit- I wanted to fight, I did. I wanted to get into a shouting match, point out some of the 'interesting' translation choices in the King James (for instance, the use of "unicorns" in Numbers 23, 24 and Job 39), and keep this going. Instead, I asked him if this was the best use of his time (he assured me it was). I asked him why he wasn't at his own church this morning (didn't start until 9:30). I asked him if he'd like to come into our church until his church started (he almost laughed at that suggestion!). As he continued to quote his scriptural cadence to me, I kept saying 'God bless you' (though I wasn't sure how sincere I was with that blessing). And as I walked away, he kept shouting his superior use and knowledge of Scripture.

The irony in all of this? We had the Gideons with us on Sunday- whose sole work is to give out more Scripture (albeit the incorrect versions(s)).

When Christians fight, it isn't good. I am all for standing for truth and defending doctrine. I don't think you should compromise your beliefs. And yet, you can still hold onto your beliefs without fighting. I am sure the protesters went back to their home church and were greeted with 'atta boys'. And I am sure that for the many who drove past Hillcrest last Sunday saw a scene only confirming what they already know about Christians.

There's two 'Christian' movies coming out in the next couple weeks. One is called October Baby and is a film about a failed abortion, adoption, and a powerful story. The second is called "Blue Like Jazz" and is loosley based on the best selling book of the same name which follows a college freshman from an evangelical background to the most liberal and godless college in America.

Both films are PG-13 and both will benefit from Christian audiences, but the similarities stop there. One claims to be a Christian film while the other doesn't want to be associated as a typical Christian film. One of the films doesn't want the trailer for the other film being shown before its fillm. One of the films is the latest in a long and recent list of Christian films, while the other film is much edgier then those films. And to be expected, there's been fighting and critcizing and judging from both sides. The two films show an increasing difference in perspectives when it comes to how Christianity ought to be lived out. And yet the bickering and infighting also show our struggle to love one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment