Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Forced to change

I am not a writer nor a filmmaker, but a theme I keep bumping into lately is this: the main character in any great story is forced to change. I've heard this guy say it and I recently ran into again while reading a book about making better Powerpoint presentations- no joke- you can make fun of me later!

Any movie you like will no doubt have this idea behind it. For instance, in Moneyball, Brad Pitt's character doesn't decide to toy with numbers and rosters for the heck of it- his team's small budget and increasing competition force him to do it.

When I've talked with people about spiritual growth, most will say they grew most during life's tougher moments (forced to change). You could physical fitness or any other pursuit in that previous sentence as well (I really got serious about my health after my doctor's appointment . . .).

We all probably have stories of an outside circumstance forcing us to change? But is that the only way change is possible? Is it possible to change without being forced into it?

No comments:

Post a Comment