Monday, August 10, 2009

Mistake!

I preached on 2 Timothy 2 yesterday and made a mistake (shocking, I know). Paul talks quite a bit about work and discipline in the passage and so I cited Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour principle as one way to understand all that goes into a person experiencing success. All good until I told 1/2 my church that if they were reading through the Bible with us, that at the end of the year they'd have logged over 5,000 hours- 1/2 way to be an expert. Now, I had edited my sermon and practiced it several times but didn't realize the math mistake until shortly after saying it at the 9:00 service!

Reading the bible for 15 minutes a day = 91.25 hours.

Reading the bible for 15 hours a day = 5,475 hours

There lies the mistake! And a big one at that! I apologize to 9:00 AM Hillcresters (and didn't make it in 10:30 service, so we will be posting that one on the web site!), and yet it also underscores just how much work it takes to reach expert status.

2 comments:

Blog Archive