Saturday, August 29, 2009

Wednesday Night Review

The boys and I were with the Furniture Mission this past Wednesday Night. We had lots of help (thanks Jason, Sam, and Shane!) and the we didn't move anything heavier than a loveseat, but it was another impactful night. Our first stop was at Scott's. After moving the furniture, we talked with Scott for awhile and learned that he had spent the better part of the last year 'camping' in Sioux Falls. In other words, he was homeless. He decided he couldn't make it through another winter homeless, and so is in a modest apartment with some furnishings from the Furniture Mission. I am struck every time I volunteer with the furniture mission, as I meet the faces and hear the stories of people, real people, who are experiencing some tough times, even to the point of not having a home.

The ironic thing is I know Scott. 10 years ago when I was managing apartments, Scott was one of the guys who did some maintenance work me. To have seen him in this spot on Wednesday night reminds me that something like homelessness really can happen to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive