Thursday, October 24, 2013

Values are not Aspirations

Each time I teach an Ethics course at a local tech college, I assign a case study on values.

Specifically, students need to identify his or her top 5 values and explain why those are values.

The kicker is the student also needs to provide evidence as to why a value is actually a value.

If there's no evidence of a value, it's not a value.  You can call it an aspiration or a goal or a challenge, but you can't call it a value.

For instance, you'll hear folks say something like "I really value generosity" or "I value learning" or "I value challenging work".  But if there's no evidence of generosity or learning or challenging work in this person's life, then this is not a value.

That person may want to value that value or set a goal to attain that value, and that's all fine and good, but then say it.

Your values are what you value.  Right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive