Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"And the Lady Will Have A . . ."

Awhile ago the fam went out for breakfast.  Fast food.  We don't do it a lot and when we do it's a bit of a treat.  So as we stood before the counter, looking through the options and listening to what kid wanted a biscuit and what kid wanted a cinnamon thingy, I became annoyed.  Agitated.  Impatient.  So I cut off the discussion we were having, interrupted my wife who was asking the clerk a question about the menu, and started ordering for everyone.  Kids.  Wife.  Me.

Not my best decision.

In my defense, I knew what everyone wanted.  I knew what my boys wanted, I knew what T and Kins wanted, and I certainly knew what I wanted.  Asking questions, discussing alternatives, and staring at the menu wasn't going to change what our order was.  It was simply going to waste time.

Not my best defense, either.

Just because I knew the outcome (and I could get to the outcome more efficiently!), didn't make it right for me to dictate the outcome.

There's a life lesson in there somewhere . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive