Sunday, February 24, 2013

My Sweet Tooth and Lent

I have a sweet tooth.  Always have.  Always will.  Cake, cookies, candy, ice cream- just about anything sweet that isn't good for you- I crave.  Have to have.  Most of the reason I belong to a gym and work out has nothing to do with physical fitness as it does with making sure I am doing something to offset the root beer float I had at 10:00 last night!

Every time Ash Wednesday comes around, I feel called to give up sweets.  There are a number of things I could give up- coffee, pizza, cereal- that would also classify as a sacrifice- but sweets trumps them all.  The problem is that the season of Lent always falls around a crazy stretch of birthdays for our family (we call is 2nd Christmas and you can read more about it here).  I knew there was no way I could go through this season without having some sweet, so why even bother with it.

Well, this year's Easter is early- it ends on my son's birthday- March 31.  So the possibility is there to attempt a Lenten fast of no sweets.  Which I started.  On February 19.  Which is technically 40 days before Easter (so no mini-Easters for me on Sundays!).

Why not start on Ash Wednesday?  Because Ash Wednesday was also the week of Valentine's.  The week where my wife makes me multiple sweet things!

I need to hit the gym . . . !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive