Thursday, February 14, 2013

Can Jesus Be Your Valentine?

You hear it on Christian radio every year around this time.  A well-meaning DJ mentions that Valentine's Day is coming, inserts a comical reminder for husbands to do something for their wives, and then almost as a tag, reminds the audience that if you're without a valentine on Valentine's, that Jesus loves you.

I don't disagree with that statement.  Jesus does love us- each and every one of us.

I'm just not sure how helpful it is for folks.

If you're single on Valentine's Day, Jesus can't send you flowers.  Jesus can't take you out to dinner or go to the movies with ya.

I know I'm one of the least qualified people to talk about what singles feel on Valentine's Day.  My wife and I have been married for 13 years.  We were high school sweethearts and dated for several years before we were married.  I really don't know what it is like to be single, so feel free to throw the challenge flag on me on this one.

We can't pretend that Valentine's Day doesn't exist.  We can call it a a holiday invented by Hallmark and florists, but if you're married or dating, most of us will (and I could argue should- yes should) do something for our better half on this day.

But we also need to recognize that Valentine's Day- like Mother's Day and Father's Day- celebrate some while leaving others out.  And as deep and rich as Jesus' love is, I don't think it's wise to patch feelings of those who feel left out on Valentine's Day with Christian jargon of Jesus being a Valentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive