Thursday, March 28, 2013

Change and the Y

There's changes being proposed at our local Y.  If you're really curious, you can read about it here.  What's more interesting, though, is how different people react to the change (I'll admit, being a relatively newer member of the Y, I too had/have my own concerns).  Two observations on this particular change and maybe all change in general:

  • We filter change through how it affect us- not knowing the exact the plan of change, we will filter it through how it impacts us.  In the guys' locker room, an avid racquetball player assumed the change wouldn't affect the racquetball courts.  One of my friends wondered what the Y would do with much of the new exercise equipment they just bought and that my friend friend uses frequently.  Those who most often use the pools assume the pools will stay (though rumor is it won't).
  • We all like to be insiders- the closer we are to deciding the change, the better we feel about the change.  Again, from the guys' locker room, one of the guys who was part of the decision was telling the (aforementioned) avid racquetball player of the change.  The guy who part of the decision felt very comfortable with the change.  The racquetball player listening felt less comfortable, but if the courts were spared, would probably be ok.  And me, being the most removed as I am simply overhearing the conversation, noticed a spike in my heart rate, even though I hadn't began my workout!  Only kidding!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive