Friday, March 15, 2013

Drinking from a Fire Hose

I can remember reading a book from a well-known pastor some time ago about his routines.  His time with God routine included significant time in the word, prayer, and journaling.  His work routine included blocking off large chunks of time- in some instances days and even weeks- for planning, preparing, and developing the church and her ministries.  The temptation after reading something like that- if you're like me- is to try and automatically implement it.

Do so at your own risk.

After reading several of these accounts, I began to figure out that these guys and gals were farther along down life's path than I was.  Their kids were grown or their kids were older.  Their staffs were bigger.  Whatever it was, they hadn't necessarily developed those habits when they were my age or at my life stage (not saying life gets less busy or easier the older you get).  So I began to filter the wisdom from these spiritual giants through my own life stage.  If you have young kids and you're not sleeping through the night, there's little chance you'll be able to spend an hour journaling all your insights from your quiet time.  Instead, figure how to implement some of what you're learning into your stage of life.  You'll feel better, and you won't be blown away like drinking from a fire hose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive