Saturday, March 16, 2013

Use the Active Voice

I have some free advice on writing and English though I have limited experience and education in writing and English(!)- use the active voice as much as possible.

Two examples:
  • Active voice example- I broke the lamp when I was cleaning the basement.
  • Passive voice example- The lamp broke when I was cleaning the basement.
Sidenote- if you're a parent, you hear the passive voice all the time!

When you use the active voice, you demonstrate you're in control.  You take responsibility.  In organizational behavior, we call it 'internal locus of control'.

Using the passive voice means giving control to someone else (second sidenote- how could you rewrite that statement in the active voice?!).  The lamp broke and you have no idea how it happened.  In org behavior, we call it 'external locus of control'.  

When you can, write in the active voice.

More free advice?  I use the active voice most often in professional writing- things such as recommendations letters and revising people' resumes and cover letters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive