Friday, April 26, 2013

Busy

"You're busy".

I'll hear this comment about my life, or my families' life, or my kids' lives.  You're busy.

Sometimes the comment is a mere observation, as in "when I notice your life, I notice you're busy".

Sometimes the comment comes from a place of sympathy, as in "you're busy, and I feel sorry for you".

Sometimes the comment comes from a place of pity, as in "you're busy, and I am glad I don't live your life".

I used to try to deflect these comments with quips of my own like "it's a busy time" or "everyone's busy".  I've tried justifying being busy as a multiplication problem, as in, I have four kids, so that's four sports, four musics, four classrooms, etc.

But here's a little secret- I enjoy being busy.  I do.  Not crazy busy as in something from sun up to sun down or that there has to be something on the calendar every day or night, but if the choice is between activity and inactivity, I choose activity.

One more secret?  I choose to be busy- no one or thing makes me busy.

So, I am moving away from trying to deflect or defend my busyness and instead, when the observation comes again, to simply say 'yep'.    




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive