Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Inefficiency of Check-Writing

I do not like checks.

If I write a check, and it gets cashed (or clears, to use the jargon I picked up from my brief time working at a bank) within a couple days, great.  I have no problems.

But if I write a check, and the receiver holds it for weeks or even months, this annoys me.  I have deducted the amount from my register (or spreadsheet, or similar tool), but the bank doesn't know this so my account is inflated until the check clears.

On a personal level, I can be ok with this.  You're busy or the fundraiser doesn't close for a week or you've turned over the check to the organization.  I get it.

But at work, if an organization isn't depositing checks in a timely manner, I think that says something about the organization.  Does the organization not need the money or the donation?  Are they unorganized?  Perhaps they are too busy to get their organization some money (because, until you deposit the check, I/we get the interest on that amount, not you, not to mention the actual amount of the check).

Hillcrest used to write lots of checks each month.  Most would clear in a timely fashion but some would sit there.  Begging to be cashed.  Those outstanding checks annoyed me.  So our finance guy suggested online bill pay.  Brilliant.  We now pay most of our vendors and mission partners through online bill pay.  The amount clears our account right away and keeps our cash flow as current as possible.

And it saves me from secretly judging how much you need (or don't need!) the payment we just sent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive