Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Difference Between I Did and I Do

I ran track in high school.  Distance events- primarily the one mile and two mile events.  I've done all of the training and preparation needed to be able to run distance races.  So when my friends talk about training for and eventually running in 5Ks, half marathons, and marathons, I know what they're going through because to a degree, I've been there too.

That's a far cry, however, from still doing those things.

There's a big difference between me as someone who used to run and someone who currently runs.

There's also a big difference between being able to do something and actually doing it.

The other day I ran about 5 miles on the treadmill.  While watching a TV show.  For a moment, I thought to myself, 'I could run a 5K- I  just did one here'.

Again, having the capability to do something is different then actually doing it.

Rather than thinking thoughts of what I used to do or what I could do, my energies are better spent on the actual doing.

3 comments:

  1. Well said. When I saw your title, I thought it referred to marriage. And, in fact, there is much to say for spending one's energies on cherishing your spouse than looking back on the day when you said, "I do."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree with you on the marriage comments as well.

      Delete
  2. So true in so many ways. I, and you I guess, have a profession that is looked upon by many as one that is easily done or one that most people could do. I find that most intriguing lots of times. I don't look at an accountant and think, "I could do that. I can add and subtract." Yet, in service professions like teaching and ministry, unless you're "doing it", there's no way to truly grasp the amount of work that goes into what sometimes takes 40 minutes to teach. And for the record, I'm pretty sure you could run a 5K...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive