Sunday, April 28, 2013

(No) Cell Phones Allowed

I get why we fight it.  Why we limit cell phones.  They are not allowed in school.  Can't use them in the doctor's or dentist's office.  Certainly taboo at the movies.

What about church?  Should this be another 'cell phone' free zone?

Couple thoughts- I get limiting cell phones.  We're almost naked if we forget it at home or if the battery dies.  I am not advocating that these devices need to follow us everywhere we go.

Second, cell phones aren't going anywhere.  In fact, the technology continues to increase their importance in daily life, not diminish it.  Some countries in Europe, for instance, treat the cell phone like a mobile wallet.  Want a Coke from a vending machine?  Use your cell phone.

Finally, for those of us who teach, the temptation is to limit cell phone or technology so students/church folk can focus on the message.  And yet, every time I've taught or spoken and I have folks surfing the internet, scanning Facebook, or sending tweets, I consider that a me problem as in, whatever I am saying or teaching is not good enough to command attention from those other activities.  I can fight it (no cell phones allowed), but far better for me to take a look at my tactics.

Hillcrest recently launched a live event on the Bible app youversion.  You can get a preview of Sunday's service here.  You can also find us on the youversion app on your smartphone or tablet by clicking on the blue live event icon, enter "57103" into the search, and hit enter.  Our live event should pop up.  You can use the live event to access the scriptures we're teaching from on Sunday, take notes, give online, and even fill out our connection card online (of course, there's the paper one you can always fill out).

I think cell phones are here to stay.  For those with smartphones and tablets, the youversion app is a must.  And for those who lead in churches, the live event is one way to engage these folks.

Don't fight it.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't get the live app notes to work last week so I didn't use it this week. I can see it's a good concept, though.

    As far as cell phones use in general, I agree with most of what you said. In school, they've changed the situation quite a bit. High school doesn't really fight the whole cell phone battle anymore with some teachers using them as devices to answer quiz questions and surveys. At middle school, we still try to have reign on the electronic devices, not just cell phones simply because many kids have notebooks, tablets, e-readers, ipod touches and so on. However, it really doesn't matter how incredible the lesson I teach is...if a kid wants to instagram, facebook or tweet, they will out of mere habit or simply to see if they can get away with it. I love technology and would have every device available if money would allow so I get how fun it can be and how we rely on it to get through a normal day. It used to make me sad to watch my kids "hang out" together at a basketball game but they were all on their devices and not necessarily interacting like we did, with voices and laughter and yelling. However, I've admitted that no amount of frustration voiced from my generation is going to change what happens with the technology generation of today. My job now is to figure out how I am going to embrace this train heading down the tracks the best way possible, yet still try to instill in my students the importance of social interaction without having to "plug in" to complete it. It's quite the conundrum we as a society and culture are facing. I won't even get started though on how scary it is as a parent of young children to know that at the flick of a finger, the world and all its evil (and all its good, too) is available. That's a whole other blog! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy! And I hear ya on the fears as a parent with all of this- yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive