Saturday, May 4, 2013

Boundaries for Leaders

Some nuggets from this book:

  • The real problem is getting the people to do what it takes to make the plan work.
  • As a leader, you are going to get a combination of two things: what you create and what you allow.
  • The research says that when we multitask, our brains run in a hampered state.
  • Do you as a leader lead in way that is compatible with humans?
  • Try giving teenagers a lot of advice and see if it changes behavior.  But if you provide context- by listening, sharing information and positive examples, setting expectations and consequences, creating a healthy emotional climate, and challenging them to do their best- they will figure it out and implement it.  That is a lot better than just “telling them what to do”.
  • What kind of mood and energy am I fostering when I enter a room?  When I give feedback?  When I make a request?  When I make a correction?
  • The act of “paying attention” to what I need to do differently and better next time can’t happen if I am afraid of what you might do to me now.
  • Act and good things happen
  • There are two kinds of people in the world.  People whose circumstances overcome them, and people who overcome their circumstances.
  • Focus your people on what they have control of that directly affects the desired outcome of the organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive